Improving Access to Efficient Medicines for the Community in Papua New Guinea
In line with efforts to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3 on promotion of health, Non-Aligned Movement Centre for South-South Technical Cooperation (NAM CSSTC) participated in Discussion Panel (6/19), in view of expressing ideas to improve Papua New Guinea (PNG)’s access to efficient medicines as one of NAM member countries.
During the discussion, NAM CSSTC expressed sincere appreciation on various inputs submitted by related stakeholders, including Indonesian Drug and Food Control Agency, Consulate of the Republic of Indonesia in Vanimo, Ministry of Health of Indonesia, PNG Medicine Regulation Authority and Indonesian pharmaceutical industry sectors. Inputs delivered were as follows:
- Proposal to implement capacity-building activity in Vanimo, PNG, for the fiscal year (FY) 2020 which will benefit officials / staffs in the Ministry of Health of PNG and being facilitated by Indonesian Drug and Food Control Agency.
- The importance of overcoming health issues faced by PNG community, including drug supply and export, as well as synergy with World Health Organisation (WHO) regulations regarding drug distribution.
- Export of medicines by Indonesian pharmaceutical industries to PNG through the Ministry of Health of PNG as an institution authorised in procuring national medicines.
NAM CSSTC also expressed its support for cooperation in trade on essential medicines between Indonesian pharmaceutical industries and health facilities in PNG, particularly after considering PNG’s tax exemption policy on imported drugs.
Pursuant to the plan on carrying out capacity-building activity for PNG, according to results of discussion, training topics identified including:
- Good Manufacturing Practices on medicines;
- Analysis and testing of medicines;
- Medicinal product evaluations; and
- Border control.
The activity was concluded by the Head of Indonesian Drug and Food Control Agency, Dr. Ir. Penny K. Lukito, MCP., during ceremony held at the border of SKOUW.