Director of NAM CSSTC Prianti Gagarin Djatmiko Singgih Attended High-Level Meeting of NAM in New York
Director of Non-Aligned Movement Centre for South-South Technical Cooperation (NAM CSSTC) Prianti Gagarin Djatmiko Singgih attended High-Level Meeting to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the Declaration and Program of Action of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) on Cultural Diversity and Human Rights (Tehran+10) in New York, on Thursday, 30 November 2017.
The meeting was held in the Chamber of Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). A number of important figures also presented in the meeting, among others:
- President of the 72nd Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), Miroslav Lajcak;
- Director of the NAM Centre for Human Rights and Cultural Diversity (NAM CHRCD);
- Foreign Minister of Venezuela, Jorge Arreaza Montserrat (Chairman of the High-Level Meeting);
- Vice President of Legal Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Dr. Laaya Joneidi;
- Deputy Foreign Minister of Cuba, Abelardo Moreno; and
- Permanent Representative of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the UN, Yashar T. Aliyev.
Prianti currently serves as Senior Advisor to Minister of Foreign Affairs for Polical, Legal and Security.
Prianti attended the meeting as special guest and representative of Indonesian delegation. She delivered report of NAM CSSTC activities throughout 2017 with several matters discussed, including:
- The role of NAM CSSTC in enhancing capacity building and self-reliance among NAM member countries through South-South technical cooperation;
- Result of capturing demand exercises consisted of variety of issues that NAM member countries were concerned about;
- The focus of NAM CSSTC program on development of blue economy, new/renewable energy resources, women’s empowerment and development of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs); and
- NAM CSSTC partnerships with various government agencies, international civil society organizations and higher educational institutions.
The High-Level Meeting also scheduled an interactive debate on “Solidarity, Dialogue and Tolerance in a Diverse World: Towards a Culture of Peace.” In her report, the Director of NAM CSSTC shared experiences and best practices of human rights promotion and cultural diversity in Indonesia. Director of NAM CSSTC said that the Government of the Republic of Indonesia has been actively conducting various inter-religious dialogues bilaterally with 24 countries, Global Inter-Media dialogues in 2006 and 2008 and Bali Democracy Forum, which promoted harmony, democracy, religion and pluralism.
Related to the Action Plan of the High-Level Meeting, the Director provided following three recommendations.
- The need for clear guidance in the Action Plan regarding concrete actions appropriate for relevant agencies and NAM centres worldwide, especially NAM CHRCD.
- The proposed theme for the next program activity could be approved in the Action Plan, as well as the sustainability of the Culture of Peace as general theme.
- The plan of cooperation with interested parties could be included in the Action Plan. In that case, the NAM CSSTC is ready to support the program plan as a follow-up to this High-Level Meeting.
New York, 30 November 2017